Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Heavy vs. Light: what are the differences between truck and light duty mechanics?

    I know quite a few mechanics, and many of the truck guys are at least passable light duty mechanics also. There seem to be far fewer car or pickup mechanics who can work on trucks. I don't believe this is a matter of ability, but rather of desire. Most light duty guys seem to have little interest in learning about working on trucks.
    I must say I find this kind of puzzling, as I find trucks as a whole much easier to work on. It seems as if every time I am forced to work on a light vehicle, the part I need to take off is buried behind three other parts. Heavy vehicles are also built to be taken apart and worn out parts replaced, while cars seem to be made to be used a few years, then thrown away.
    Parts are also much easier on trucks, as they use more generic parts that fit all (or most) brands. Brake chambers, shoes, airbrake valves, and driveline parts are common examples. Auto parts stores are forced to stock a dizzying array of parts for all brands, leading to inevitable problems with wrong parts and added cost. Of course, many truck parts are larger and heavier than the car counterpart, and there is more climbing to do when working on trucks.
    Truck or diesel mechanics may be slightly more highly paid than their light duty counterparts, but this may be partly offset by the larger tool expense most truck mechanics seem to have.
    Where both areas shine is in the software used in diagnosis. For the most part, both auto and truck diagnostic programs are straightforward and user friendly. I was very surprised when I started using a PC a lot and had to learn to use word processing and related programs, not to mention programs for drawing or picture modification. There seems to be a scheme to make software as opaque and complicated as possible. After easily learning to use diagnostic programs at several different mechanic jobs, I was surprised how long it took me to gain just a little proficiency with Windows or Microsoft office. Of course, when I was in high school computers were for sending guys to the moon, so the younger crowd who have grown up with them probably don't have the same problem.
 

2 comments:

gear said...

I find it remarkable that you commend the software aspect of working on trucks and light vehicles since the computer issue is actually the greatest reason why I won't I don't enjoy working on big trucks. Wow both facets are just as equally interested in making money on aftermarket and computer programming as they are in actually selling the vehicle I have to say that the big truck market is ridiculously expensive and confined and they do not want to support you if you want to be a mechanic that's capable of working on all trucks you have to spend $17,000 in a équipement and software for a complete line upand something else that a lot of backyard tuners don't understand is that without a federal license on your programmer which has to be renewed every year I think that the instant you change the programming in the vehicles computer it is no longer road legal it is now an off road vehicle onlythere are lots of implications into the manufactures and the lawmakers a desire to take your moneythey don't care about reliability and they don't care about drivability and they don't care about your ability to fix your own product all they care about is making sure you hand over $1

bruce said...

A couple of problems, here. First, diagnostic software does not need to be re-licensed every year, you only pay extra for updates.
I must say I don't see any benefit in complaining about computers in vehicles. They are a necessary part of today's picture. When I started out in repair, I was a light duty guy. Every car had contact point ignition and a carburetor. These components were not only unreliable, they required frequent maintenance or replacement, if you wanted your car to run well. A tune-up with plugs, points, and probably wires, would be done twice a year, and carbs were rebuilt every year. If the temperature was below zero, you basically hoped you could get the choke set right and the thing started before the battery ran down. Every cold start washed the cylinder walls with raw fuel, causing accelerated engine wear.
I know some other mechanics roughly the same age as myself, and none of us yearn for "the good old days." Anyway, the average person's ability to fix things himself has always been overrated in my opinion, and I saw at least as many failed attempts at shadetree repair back in the day as I do now.