Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

vehicle lifts : working standing up

    Hi, everybody. I just thought I would write a paragraph about an experience I have had with vehicle lifts. I have worked at several different shops over the years, and have worked on light/medium duty vehicles on lifts, but for the past several weeks I have worked at a shop that has lifts for heavy trucks. My present employer works on everything, from cars to pickups to medium and heavy trucks. We have 2 drive-on light vehicle lifts, one heavy vehicle, in-floor hoist, and two sets of a lift I had no experience with. This setup is made by Stertil-Koni, but I am sure someone makes something similar. The system consists of 4 independent units to lift a vehicle by the wheels. Each unit can be wheeled into position and slid around a tire, then all 4 units lift as a team. The capacity of each unit is 13,000 lbs, so almost anything can be lifted. Additionally, the units can be operated in pairs or as singles. They lift as high as shop headroom will allow, so that you can walk right underneath and work without crouching.
  The first time I realized the worth of this system was when I helped do a clutch. Being able to reach the top of the transmission to unhook airlines and wire harnesses, without having to lie on a creeper and struggle, was a new experience. I found this way of working easier on the body and cleaner, as you are not rubbing your back on a creeper that is filthy from dirt falling off the vehicle. We unbuttoned everything but 2 bellhousing bolts, dropped the truck down, put the trans on the jack, undid the 2 bolts and pulled the trans. The vehicle could then be lifted back up to drop the clutch, flywheel, and do the crosshaft and input shaft. No more ramps in the way, no more jacking the truck up to get the trans out from under, no more stiff neck from creeper work. Never having worked this way before, I was skeptical when I first saw these lifts in operation, but now I am completely sold.
  •  Access is easier - no ramps to get in the way of tranny jacks or other equipment.
  • Work is much cleaner - dirt falls to the floor instead of your neck, face, or creeper. 
  • No wasted time jacking and setting stands.
  • One man setup - no one needed to guide you onto a ramp.
    Go to http://www.stertil-koni.com/en/products/mobile_column_lifts/st1060mobilelift/  to check it out

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog's posts are very awesome, i enjoyed the posts of your Blog related to vehicle lifts while reading,Thanks for sharing such a wonderful blog.

Unknown said...

I like your blog post. Keep on writing this type of great stuff. I'll make sure to follow up on your blog in the future. vehicle lifts.