Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Don't buy Counterfeit Chinese Vehicle Interfaces

Hello, all and welcome to The Toolbox.

I ran across this article and associated link pertaining to counterfeit DPA 5 vehicle interfaces. I have seen counterfeit Noregon and Nexiq interfaces for sale, but this is the first time I have heard of copies of  Dearborn Group interfaces being sold. These cheap junk units are reverse engineered and sold as authentic thru websites, usually shipping from  Shenzen or another Chinese location.

Here is a link from which a document can be downloaded to identify counterfeit DPA 5 interfaces. Much of the information would also apply to other brands.

Counterfeit DPA 5

Among the problems associated with these fakes is lack of function identity labels, inoperable firmware, poor circuit board workmanship and quality in general, and software disks containing malware. These units are found at extremely low prices online, and should be avoided at all cost. The old saw "if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't" applies here. An example of what you might look for is shown below.

label on an authentic DPA5 box
This is the label from my own, authentic DPA 5 box
box label on counterfeit DPA 5
This is the label on a counterfeit DPA 5 box.
Note that there is no address (yellow script)









I have also seen some of these on Ebay. I order lots of stuff from Ebay and have never had a problem, but I would be cautious here. I have my doubts that you would be able to return an item ordered from China, if you found it to be counterfeit. Items purchased on Ebay can usually be returned to the seller if they are not as described, but I would make very sure of what I am buying.

Thanks for reading, and visit again soon.
Bruce

No comments: