Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Display Navistar On Command (Isis) on Internet Explorer 10 with Windows 7.

            Hello everyone. This post deals with using Isis Master Service Information on Windows 7. I recently bought the 2012 version of Isis, also known as Navistar On Command. It uses the Internet Explorer browser to search and display content, so I loaded it on my diagnostic laptop where I keep IE as the default browser. I opened the program and it wouldn’t display content. I finally read the “read me first” folder in the installation file, and that said Isis will only display in IE 7 or 8! The problem is that Internet Explorer 8 loaded with Windows 7 is updated to IE10 on my laptop, and I am not willing to give up any of the security benefits undoubtedly included in later versions. I certainly didn’t want to use my older laptop with the XP system.  As an aside, I use Chrome for online work. I like Google products generally, and seem to get the best, most relevant search results on Chrome. I only use IE on my diagnostic machine in order to use Isis.

On Command will only display code, not content, in IE10

            Anyway, I wanted to find a workaround and finally did, although it does require a few extra keystrokes while using the program. It turns out that Explorer 10 includes access to earlier versions via the developer view. If you press F12, a window opens up at the bottom of the screen. It can be used to test HTML code in different versions of IE, but if an earlier version is selected, any new search material is also accessed with that version.

IE 10 includes a developer window by pressing F12

            So, to access On Command, open your browser, and press F12. The developer window will open at the bottom of the screen. In the middle of the top toolbar is a button for the browser mode. Click on it and a drop box will allow you to select IE8. Now minimize the screen and On Command will display content. Note that if you bring up a page from within On Command, you will again need to change the browser mode for the new page.

A popup will ask if you want to allow scripts. Click "allow"
On Command will now display content.


            Ok, so that is kind of clunky, but at least you can use the latest search engine and operating system for International service information.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good find!!! Been driving crazy trying to figure out hot to use the isis disc!

Anonymous said...

But it doesn't show the diagrams

bruce said...

Make sure your browser is configured to display pictures. Click on this Microsoft link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/ie-display-images

Properties4us said...

While you have internet explorer open go to the settings icon top right next to favorites star. click it look for COMPATIBILITY view settings(should be 2nd to last command) click there and when window opens(what ever internet page you are viewing will be in the command box) then click add. That will allow ISIS to function every time you open it. I had to do this for Cummins Quick serve as well.
Bret Lockport, Il.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...Very nice article.....Very helpful anyone get this to work in Windows 8?

Many thanks.....The F12 did the trick there but I can not get images to display at all......

Thanks again

betty said...

you are a life save, not even an IT guy was able to help me out!! thank you, finally I can fix my international!!

Anonymous said...

Very Helpful!! thank you very much, you helped me to quit pulling my hair!! I appreciate it!!

Anonymous said...

If you go to C:\NAV\ and add "< meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" Content="IE=8">" Under the Head of the HTML pages you won't have to use the developer tools every time.

AT said...

The problem with adding the string of "< meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" Content="IE=8">" under the head of each HTML page, it'll take me months to do this, since I have catalogs with thousands of pages and images.
Is there a way to add the wtring to every page?

Thanks for your Help!
AT