Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

One More Time on Mechanic Education

    Well, it is fall again, so the technical school programs are back in session. It is also time for me to once again harp on the sad state of mechanic recruitment and technical training. I won't repeat what I've already said on the subject, you can click on this link to check, if you like.

                                                                     My Ravings

    I recently came across something written by Sean Bennett on the subject. Sean has worked at truck dealerships, taught in truck mechanic training programs, and has written several textbooks on the subject.
    The link below is to a page from Bennett's blog, the first part written last year. The second part was written in 2008, but is still more than relevant today. As to female grade school teachers being the start of the problem, I will not touch that with a 200 foot long pole. I also will not comment on the public school social issue. I agree with what he says, but don't see it changing.

                                                                 seanbennett.org


    I do heartily endorse his ideas about college/vocational school training and the state of entry level techs today, as well as how things could be fixed. One point I have seen firsthand is the lack of computer savvy in many novice mechanics, even 20 somethings who must have grown up with technology. A couple I have worked with can't even do an effective internet search, let alone use a scanner. Granted, these were not products of technical school education, but Bennett says many graduates of programs also have very sparse computer skills. I find this disheartening and bodes ill for the future of the repair industry. I can't imagine how we will ever find the people to do the work after mechanics my age retire.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got a serious question. I've had a lot of practice with traditional engines, but I need to know how much of that translates to diesel. I know that the engines are fundamentally different, I just don't know if I'm good to take one apart.
http://www.centextruckrepair.com/

bruce said...

There really isn't any fundamental difference between the basic assemblies of gasoline versus diesel engines. Of course, there are several fuel systems in use by today's diesels, and diesel assemblies are more robust and heavier.
It also makes a difference whether we are talking about automotive diesels (like the small V8's in pickups) or large road tractor powerplants.
If you are really good on gas engines, it shouldn't be a huge jump to diesel, assuming you have a complete repair manual for the engine in question.
That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a diesel guy help out to keep you out of trouble. It all depends on the true state of your abilities.